Last weekend we went to Welsh Bicknor in the Wye Valley, which is actually in England but we had to pass through Wales to get there - work that out! We stayed in an old rectory that had been converted into a hostel, right on the edge of the river (apparently it was the salmon run season, but I saw none).
We met up with a friend Anna (who Sarah travelled with in Australia) for a weekend of rambling (English for walking in the countryside) and tasting the local ales and ciders.
On the Saturday we walked many miles to the next village to find a pub showing the Oz vs England rugby match. We found one full of Poms, and five minutes before the game started a dozen Kiwis turned up. I kept my mouth shut until Australia scored, but unfortunately my voice sounded unnaturely loud in the deafening silence. After that eveyone in the place knew I was an ozzie.... Needless to say, I copped a lot of stick at the end of the game. This particular village was rather beautiful though, situated on both sides of the river with only ferries (or rather barges tied to ropes) connecting the two sides.
October 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment