September 15, 2006

Gettin Kultured

Last night we went to my first West End musical. Having been dragged to the opera once before (never again!) my expectations of having a "cultured" experience weren't high. I've only ever been to one other big production musical, Phantom of the Opera, and although it was good, I was more inclined to pull out my list of things to do before I die and cross out "see a musical", consider that task completed, and move on with life. But this performance was for charity, and Sarah loves her musicals......
Daddy Cool is a musical that has a story line based around Boney M songs. I hadn't had the best of days (job searching sucks) so wasn't really in the mood for fun, but my spirits soon rose as I realised what I was watching wasn't your normal musical. Disco, rapping, beat-boxing,rap dancing, guns, fights and hot chicks not wearing much at all! It was fantastic! By the end of the show the whole audience was standing up and shaking their booty to the music - which I assume is not the done thing at a musical. Thoroughly enjoyable!
This does of course mean that next time Sarah says she wants to see a musical I can't escape by claiming they are boring.........

No comments: