It snowed again last Thursday; they were predicting up to 6 inches, but (thank god) it didn't eventuate. Expecting a huge snowfall I woke up a few times during the night and looked out the window, and was finally rewarded around 5:00am with the sight of flakes flying horizontally through the air and everything covered in white. I even managed to leave the house with a smile on my face!
Unfortunately by the time we got to the bus stop the snow was turning to sludge, and the reality of living with snow was setting in. The sludge makes it incredibly slippery underfoot, and the snow flakes eventually melt and soak you through. Your shoes get saturated and your toes feel frozen. You know the transport system is going to fail, and that you are going to be short staffed at work with all the people who are snow bound.
Surprisingly, it was probably the fastest trip I've had into work this year - there was just no one around! I actually walked across Victoria Station concourse without having to dodge anyone, which is totally unheard of. Everyone in London had expected the worst so no one was relying on public transport, which meant there where no crowds to slow everything down. As Alanis says, "isn't that ironic, don't you think?"
Once in the building at work you could look out the windows and appreciate the snow, falling past the window and covering all the buildings. Below are photos of the Tower of London and Tower Bridge, taken from my floor at work (bad photos, lots of reflection from the lights in the building).
Below is the rooftop lawn on the building outside my window. A couple of hours after this photo there were about 20 people having a snowball fight there, but I forgot I had the camera so didn't get photos of it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment