- Ice cream vans sell an ice cream called a 99p (pence) flake, basically a soft serve ice cream in a cone with half a flake stuck in it. Problem is it costs £1.25!
- In London it is a sin to stand on the left hand side of an escalator - the left hand side is purely for people who wish to walk down the escalators. No standing side by side with your loved one, both of you have to stand on the right with one in front of the other. The immediate outrage caused when you stand on the left is amazing - pity all the unknowing tourists!
- You can park on whatever side of the road you want. It is common to be driving down the road and have oncoming traffic veer across the road into your lane to park on your side of the road.
- This one is my personal irritant. When driving in the fast lane on a motorway, you are considered to be driving in the 'outside' lane. Surely this is the inside lane, as you are in the middle of the road! Post comments please!
- Over here 'pants' are underwear. I walked into an outdoor store recently and said to the salesman ' I need some waterproof pants....' Sarah and the salesman eventually got off the floor still giggling.
- I'm not going to start telling you about what people think when you refer to your thongs....
- Most sandwich shops only have prepackaged sandwiches; you know the ones you can find in the bottom of the fridge at most service stations. There are sandwich shops where the whole wall is a refrigerated cabinet, full of sandwiches in cardboard boxes. They taste ok, but you can tell they aren't fresh. A shop that makes the sandwich for you while you wait is a special find.
- And speaking of food everything you buy at the supermarket only lasts 6 weeks once opened. I remember back home you would open a bottle of tomato sauce and throw it out when the use by date is up. Not here, 6 weeks after opening it is meant to be thrown.
February 05, 2007
Musings on the toilet.....
I don't know what I ate yesterday, but it definitely hasn't agreed with me. I was up all last night vomiting, which in turn meant I kept Sarah up all night as well. Today I haven't wanted to stray to far from the toilet and I'm bored as hell. All this time on my hands has led me to reflect on a few of the quirks I have experienced while living with the British...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
well, do I really need to comment, I could have told ages ago hat the English are from a different planet ;)
Post a Comment